January 1, 1984
American Wrestling Association
The one thing I disliked about AWA programming was the incessant deluge of promos being shown between matches. This video is 53 minutes long and there are only four matches, two of which being ten-minute time limits. I agree that promos are necessary to build heat, but we could use more in-ring action to generate heat as well.
- Video begins with revelation of Jesse Ventura's new tag team partner, Masa Saito. Their video segment breaks down at the end into laughter and comments from the peanut gallery as they were waiting for their promos.
- Verne Gagne rambles on about amateur wrestling in preparation for the 1984 Olympics. A more stringent enforcement of the rules would be coming in 1984.
- Rocky Stone vs Jim Brunzell: Good starter match for the broadcast.
- Nick Bockwinkel and Bobby Heenan give a promo in preparation for a tag team match against the Crusher and Mad Dog Vachon. Tag team partner to be named before the end of the hour.
- Buddy Lane vs Masa Saito: Great warm-up match for Saito.
- Redo of the previous Ventura-Saito promo.
- Best 2-of-3 Falls Match: Jake Milliman vs Buck Zumhofe: I am a little upset that they stopped playing "Jingle Bell Rock" at the beginning of the match.
- Promos from the High Flyers, Buck Zumhofe and Nick Bockwinkel about the upcoming card at the St. Paul Civic Center. Bockwinkel announces Crusher Blackwell as his partner against Vachon and Crusher.
- World Heavyweight Title Match: Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Mad Dog Vachon: Joined in progress from the Christmas evening card. Pandemonium ensued as Bobby Heenan and Crusher became involved.
- Promo from Mad Dog Vachon and Crusher for their tag team match against Bockwinkel and Blackwell.